Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Tuna & Other Sacrifices . . .

It's Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent . . . a time of fasting,  prayer and reflection leading up to Easter.  It's a time in which many people will give up certain things as a sign of repentance or sacrifice in honor to God.   A lot of people use it as a time to work on their relationship with God as they follow the example of Jesus' 40 days of fasting and prayer in the desert before He began his public ministry.
Around this time, it's always interesting when people start talking about what they're "giving up."  Some of the more common items that you hear being sacrificed are: sweets, junk food, smoking, drinking, or maybe swearing.  This is no news flash - I know I'm about the one bazillionth person to point out that these are things that really aren't good for us, and we should do without them anyway.  It's not just the "don't need them" category, either . . . what about the "don't want them" column?  For me, I could be making a bold declaration to give up tuna ( which about makes me gag just typing it ) but it would be meaningless, since it looks & smells like cat food, I can't stand it and it would be of no cost to me.
So what should we be doing to show our devotion to God?  Here's how I am being challenged: in 2 Samuel 24, King David said he would not sacrifice to the Lord that which cost him nothing.  Sure, my list of "off limit" items could include luxuries like caviar, and things I really don't care for like . . . caviar, but that would be a sacrifice that cost me nothing.  When we read Psalm 22:1-18 and Isaiah 53 we are reminded of the incredible sacrifice of Himself that Jesus made for us, and how they clearly show the extent of His full commitment to us.  If I am trying to show my commitment to God, it seems only fitting that my sacrifices for Him are meaningful, ongoing, and show that He is my top priority.  That seems to be what Jesus is teaching us in Matthew 6:33, when He tells us to put Him first and allow everything else to fall into its place.  This is what I'm being challenged to do: to show my commitment by my priorities - not just today as we begin Lent, but every other day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment