Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Lessons From a Food Fight

In some tabloid-type news, a birthday party was planned for LeBron James recently and a Miami area baker was going to receive some publicity for preparing a fancy cake for the event.  Apparently it wasn't fit for a king or the Cake Boss and the person handling the party ended up rejecting it and using a different one and the cake baker is ticked and wants someone to pay.  After reading about the little "food fight" it got me thinking (which can be a little scary).

1. why should any cake supposedly cost $3,500?
2. was there real gold in that frosting?
3. why can't someone like James cover the costs anyway - it's like $5 to him.
4. it doesn't sound like the baker knows what it means to "give a gift."
5. it doesn't sound like James or his "people" know what it means to "accept a gift."
It just seems like another example of selfishness, entitlement and an overall lack of grasp on reality that we see around us far too often.
Remembering that we are just a few days removed from celebrating Christmas and the greatest gift ever given to humanity in Jesus, I hope that overall, we have learned to be a little more appreciative of a generous gift when it comes our way.  Jesus is the perfect gift . . . the perfect gift giver . . . and the perfect example of how to relate to others with kindness, unselfishness and love.  He has taught us to give and to receive without strings attached.  When I think about my sinfulness, mistakes and failures - and the grace and mercy that God faithfully shows me - I am so thankful that I don't receive what I'm truly entitled to.
By the way . . . call me boring, but I'm completely happy with a simple white cake with chocolate frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment